Reports to: Executive Director
Location: San Diego, CA
Effective Date: November 2019
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
General Purpose of the Job: Build relationships with key leaders and stakeholders about the needs of torture survivors and to increase the capacity to advocate for and serve torture survivors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (The examples of functions are not necessarily exhaustive. Management is not precluded from assigning other related functions not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment for the position.)
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with state, local and other key public officials to increase awareness and support of SURVIVORS’ interests and goals
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with peers from other nonprofit organizations to leverage resources, services, and assistance for asylum seekers, asylees, and families
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of proposed legislation and analyze its impact on SURVIVORS’ programs
- Assist in developing and implementing annual policy agenda and priorities
- Work to influence governmental policies
- Write reports and comment letters
- Assist with creating supporting materials for use in outreach activities
- Speak at community events
- Provide leadership to volunteers and/or interns
- Strong commitment to the mission of Survivors of Torture, International
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in public policy, political science, communications or related field
- Possess excellent interpersonal and effective communication skills
- Ability to prioritize workload tasks, maintain attention to detail and handle a variety of responsibilities simultaneously
- Familiarity with local, state and national government systems
- Ability to build relationships across public and private sectors
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Must have reliable car, valid driver’s license and adequate auto insurance
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits are offered.
Application Procedures: To be considered for this position, please send a detailed cover letter, resume and salary requirements as a Word document or PDF file to confidential email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Survivors of Torture, International is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, parental status, or military service.